Sunday, May 1, 2011

Tom Kenyon: Mind Gymnastics


I was able to talk my dear friend Katie into listening to another Tom Kenyon track. This time, it was the first track off of his "Mind Gymnastics" CD. I personally found this track to be challenging and unnerving. Tom Kenyon guides the listeners through a different exercise in visualization. We are encouraged to visualize numbers and colors, a task which may sound simple but really is challenging for a person not used to such abstract concepts. For me, the track pushed my boundaries. I guess I didn't feel safe enough to trust Kenyon, or perhaps just uneasy about my own blocks, but I wasn't able to follow through with the entire thing. I actually got some really intense anxiety during the track, and had to 'abandon ship' and just listen with my eyes open.

Katie had a similar experience. While she didn't get anxiety like I did, she found herself confronting her own blocks, not being able to "let it all in", or let herself go. She shared that her visualizations stayed positive though, unlike mine, which got a bit messed up with fearful thoughts. She pushed herself to really engage with the activity, and liked the structure of the track.

Katie and I both felt that this CD (well, the first track alone!) was the most intense of the ones we've reviewed. Maybe not for amateurs, but engaging and challenging for anyone.

1 comment:

  1. Nice site, I really like the reviews. Not sure if it's still active though.

    ReplyDelete