Sunday, May 1, 2011

Review: Tom Kenyon's "Ultimate Relaxation"






I've been listening to several of Tom Kenyon's CD's for the past few weeks, and this week, I partook in an experiment with a friend. While it was in no way 'scientific', it was interesting to listen with a friend and record our experiences.

Tom Kenyon's "Ultimate Relaxation" CD is part of his "Ultimate Brain" CD collection. I really enjoy this disc, and have been listening to it as I fall asleep for weeks! It did make quite a difference to listen to it consciously, though. My friend Katie and I both reported to be a bit flustered or preoccupied before listening to the disc, just so you know.

Also, we just listened to the first track off the disc, and then recorded our experience afterwards.

For this disc, both Katie and I felt that Tom Kenyon's voice was initially a bit off-putting. Sometimes it can be hard to follow the commands of someone, especially if that someone is a white male you've never met. Still, we both warmed up to his voice and became incredibly tranquil. Katie felt that her own analytical mind was getting in the way of her experience, and I couldn't help but feel the same. Going from listening consciously to this track was a much more challenging experience than just putting it on before bed. It made me a little nervous to hear with "new ears", so to speak, what I had been listening to unconsciously for weeks. Still, Kenyon guides the listener on a quiet visualization of a peaceful, comforting fantasy place. His gentleness toward the listener allowed for guilt-free mind-wandering and took the guilt out of straying from a meditative experience. We both feel that this track was appropriate for most, and had a low intensity level.

No comments:

Post a Comment